My friends, in no particular order
1. She’s on her way up, I’m on my way down. The perfect meeting point between our trajectories is Zara, where we stock up on cheap belts and cheap jewellery, and slightly more expensive coats.
2. She’s been around for ages, she only does small talk, and sometimes I wonder what’s in it for me.
3. She loved me. Enough said.Past tense, though.Broken are the ties of friendship
4. I thought I loved her. Crazy fun to hang around with, and lethal fun at that.
5.We love to read and think of England when we sleep. (when i’m not troubled by the Motherland, that is)
6. She is both several steps behind and several leagues ahead of me. Spiritually, financially, romantically.
7.The new best friend I suspect wouldn’t last – talks that cut a little too deep, and wine that goes down easy.
8. The old best friend who I suspect will never go away – summer camps, ‘girl talk’ and baking lemon cakes while it rains.
9. The one who makes me feel better about myself. By doing worse than me.
10. An honorary spot for all the guys who I thought were kinda friends, until I realized that they were more interested in fucking (i was fuckable then). And no, there’s been no guys since I got a bit ill and off, because of the fuckability issue, obviously.
Conclusion: I’m a cynic, and therefore spiritually friendless even when I am surrounded by friends. Unless they happen to be bigger cynics than me.